Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Inside Look: Book Design & Layout




In this post I mentioned that I have spent the last month working on a very wide variety of design projects. Today's feature is very dear to my heart. My father-in-law, after much persuading from all those who love and respect him (and very much appreciate all his vast knowledge), wrote his first book (of many I hope!)

A very talented and amazing artist, Ace Cosner designed the cover and from there I went to work laying out the inside. It was a lot of work, but I definitely learned a lot and know what I will do differently next time.

Below is a photograph of the mock up that we printed at a local copy store just to make sure the margins, chapter titles, page numbers, etc. were working... good thing we printed the mock-up because they weren't correct at first. ha.

I would love for you to read more about this great man and this new book; check out his website here. You can see my husband's announcement about the book release here and you can enter to win your very own hard copy here. If you, your spouse, or anyone you know is in ministry of any kind (especially collegiate ministry) they will love this book.


I would love to hear from any of you designers:
Have you ever designed a book before?
I would love tips on your processes and things you have learned along the way.

And I would love to hear from you readers:
What do you look for in a book design?

1 comment:

  1. Readability! Ease of navigation! Useful subtitles throughout.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...