Monday, August 2, 2010

New office space?

This past weekend, my husband and I attended a marriage retreat. It was amazing. I had so much fun spending an entire day with my love. At the retreat we listened to portions of a sermon series by Mark Driscoll, pastor of Mars Hill Church. Then we spent time with just our spouse talking through the discussion questions given by Driscoll.

So, what in the world does this have to do with design??? EVERYTHING. I mean let's be honest, doesn't the whole world revolve around design anyway? haha.

Well, we came to the conclusion during one of our 'breakout sessions' that in order to create a better home environment for the family and a better work environment for my sweet, sacrificing husband who has put up with a crazy wife and even crazier toddler (not to mention about a thousand guests since we moved to Florida) interrupting him about, hmm, every five minutes or so... that we need to create a dedicated office space just for him. A place where he can go and shut the door and not feel the need to be changing diapers while counseling someone.

So what does this look like when the stay-at-home wifey/mommy also has a little work from home business? Well, it means some cosmetic renovation and space shuffle... I think.

Here are my thoughts as of now, we convert our guest room into a guest room/office. And that would be where I could work and the kids can play around me while I work. I guess that means it would be a playroom of sorts too... ah. So much to cram into a 10 x 10 space (yes, I measured. haha.)

I spent a good part of yesterday and this morning looking for inspiration on how to accomplish this very daunting task since I currently love the way every part of my house is laid out and decorated. I got excited though when I found all of these super fun, cute, yet tiny office spaces within a guest room or even a re-purposed closet.

What do you think? Any suggestions on pulling this off?

+
{Really I just love this pink chair...}

{On the hunt for a tiny little desk just like that one... I wouldn't mind finding that chair as well.}

+
{This would be great, it is small in size but has drawers for storage and could easily be turned into a little 'writing table' for guests.}

{Yes please.}

+
{I fell in love with this color palette. And even though the yellow furniture piece is a dresser I could easily see a beautiful, yellow desk in it's place. The layout shown here could be redone in our current guest room with relative ease.}

+
{What are your thoughts on sleeper futons? We could do that in place of the current full size bed we have with a layout similar to the above photo. I found a few at Ikea that are simple, chic and claim to be comfy... thoughts?}

+
{oh the simplicity... I keep walking around our house in search of a little nook that could be transformed into an office just like this.}

+
{I like the idea of turning a closet into an office... taking the doors off maybe and replacing with fabric curtains like above? If you were a guest, what would you think if you couldn't use the closet?}

{Pretty identical to what the layout could be... you know, if I find the perfect desk, daybed/futon, and shelves... all for free of course. haha.}

---

Ok. I want to know your thoughts and your favorites on all of this.

I'll let you know what we decide!

4 comments:

  1. Honestly, I never use the closet in people's houses... or in hotels. I would use a dresser though.... I think the closet-office would be great! PLUS, you could close the curtain or door and hide it away when guests come to visit so they wont feel like they're staying in your "work space"...
    hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with Jenny- i don't think the closet would be necessary for guests. :) I think if you turned the guest room into an office and kept the full size bed it wouldn't leave much space for a play room though. You could move the bed into the current office.. making it a guest room/your office/and play area since it is larger and give AP the current guest room to himself for an office... down side being right beside the kids room though. I'm anxious to know what you decide!! :) :) I know it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 4th to last one. SO inviting, the blue creates a very "cool" and calming vibe. The futon gives you the option for your guests (which I think are very comfortable) yet giving you a little extra space for the kids to play, too. I love these type of projects. I'm sure it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Converting your guest room into an office space is indeed a wonderful idea. And you are doing it right the first time by considering these office designs for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...